Friday, July 3

Joshua 7: Reflections

Achan's Sin

God's command in Chapter 6 was for no one to take any valuables from Jericho because all that belonged to the Lord. However, Achan stole some and hid it in his tent! He must have thought that no one would find out.

When Joshua sent 3 thousand men to the next city of Ai, they were chased and defeated and some were even killed. I could just imagine what Joshua was thinking! How could this be possible?

In this time of crisis, Joshua a man who loved and feared the Lord, went before God with the church elders. Achan was found out and he had to be removed. vs 10 'The Lord said to Joshua, “Stand up! What are you doing down on your face? 11 Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I commanded them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions. 12 That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies; they turn their backs and run because they have been made liable to destruction. I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.'

Israel could not fight in God's power unless they walked in obedience to God and their hearts were clean!

To win my battles, I need to be obedient, confess my wrong ways, stay in His presence and have fellowship with Him. Oh Holy God!

No comments: